Thursday, November 12, 2009

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (post 8)

What I found sort of strange-and sad-was that Sissy had given birth to ten still-born children. She not infertile, I'm pretty sure, since she was still able to concieve the kids, but I wonder, what is wrong with Sissy's body? Are her reproductive organs not workings? I know that 1917 was some time ago and knowledge on how to find out why Sissy can't have a live, healthy kid is probably still unknown, but really?? Her body can handle carrying 10 children for months on end, and yet it can't give birth to one live child? I wonder if it has to do with the fact she fooled around with so many men in her life. Oh well, at least she still has the little girl Lucia gave her. (I wonder how Lucia is going?) I think there are still some mysteries surrounding Sissy, I give the book an 10/10, sad, but still a little hopeful since Sissy seems to have gained new determination through her hardships.

No comments:

Post a Comment