Thursday, January 7, 2010

Jerk, California by Johnathan Friesan

I was reading an excerpt of Sam's (the main character) description of his life and I learned something cruelly confusing. Old Bill, the guy who bullies Sam due to his Tourette's Syndrome, also has a mental disorder, OCD. Now, this might be too optimistic on me to think this, but I thought one should feel empathetic of another if they were in similiar situations. Maybe since personally, Old BIll wants everything perfect an in order, he doesn't like the idea of someone around him who is unpredictable of their actions and words. Sam has gotten into trouble due to his quirks. I don't know what year it is, but last time I checked, it wasn't fair to make fun of someone or something they didn't have control over. Well, this story is too depressing for me, and the plot lately has becing confusing due to Sam's strange friendshuip with one of Old Bill's friends. I give this book a 4/10. :(

1 comment:

  1. Jerk, California sounds pretty interesting, how come you gave it a 4/10, was it hard or was it just boring? i agree with you when you said you learned something cruelly confusing about people bulling Sam because of his Tourette's Syndrome, also has a mental disorder, and OCD. im wondering what genre is this book? this Old Bill guy sounds pretty mean just because Sam has something he doesn't like does not mean he is like that as a person-in a personality sense. Isn't he a little bit too much judgmental?? i agrees with you Nida when you think it isn't fair to make fun of someone or something they didn't have control over, it's not his fault that he has what he has and they should not make fun of him or degrading him as a human being. Is Sam's friendship with Old Bill's friend better and he does not degrade Sam because he is sick and treat him as a regular friend? describe how it is a strange friendship. mabye if i like it, i would read it.

    ReplyDelete