Thursday, October 15, 2009
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn By Betty Smith (post 4)
The main character Francie reminds me of Scout Finch, she lives a live that some might use to gain sypathy, but she stays pretty fine and has an informative tone to her voice, she doesn't jab her opinion about herself and others in the faces of the readers, unlike a lot of stories in today's books. It's also much easier to understand what's going on. I especially like Francie's imagination, on p. 18 she said how to old man serving bread to the children might have had a great life with loving people around him and even though he's not in the best of conditions, he might still be happy with his life and wants to continue living it. A main character has to be likeable in order for the other characters to be likeable in my opinion. She seems like a very dreamy character, daydreaming and thinking about candy and people. She seemed pretty happy to go to the library, I wonder if she has any friends to hang out with, not that reading is bad, it's just that so far she's been hanging out with her brother's friends-who are too cliche to me- and her mothers. I keep picturing her 7 or something like that, not 11 like she actually is. I give this book a 9/10 so far.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment