Thursday, October 29, 2009
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn By Betty Smith (post 6)
I was reading my book when a specific excerpt popped up at me. On page 174 Francie compared American born citizens with immigrants. "The parents were too American, too aware of the rights granted them by their Constitution to accept injustices meekly. They could not be bulldozed and exploites as could the immigrantsand the second-generation Americans." I really thought of this are 90% true because most immigrants came here with the idea of living a better life and while they probably are thankful for the freedoms, I don't think they would use it against others like those who have grown up learning to stand up for themselves and how to manipulate the rights. I thought though, they could still stand up for their rights-Isn't standing up why they moved?-if they felt the U.S. or it's people were being unfair. I wondered why immigrants might come off as meek and then I thought, maybe because they have a lot more to lose? They worked hard to get here and if they cause too much racket, they could be deported. I like how the story entered a more serious, thoughtful at that scene, I give it a 9/10.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment